Welcome Guest Login or Signup
BOOKMARK
French Canadian Ancestors

FORUM
NEW YORK (AP) — Afternoon showers in the Bronx were
Total Views: 37 - Total Replies: 0
Apr 07 2019, 9:48 pm - by liny195

Private Message

just what Aaron Judge needed to get back into the New York Yankees‘ lineup.For Boston Red Sox star Mookie Betts Ricky Vaughn Jersey , it was just the opposite.Judge was hitless in his return and Betts sat out when the Yankees beat the Red Sox 3-2 in the opener of a three-game series Tuesday night. The game was pushed back about six hours because of rain in the forecast and began at 7:08 p.m.The delay allowed Judge to talk his way into manager Aaron Boone’s lineup for the first time since breaking his right wrist on July 26. Boone slotted Judge to bat second and play right field, but only because the late start gave him and the front office a few extra hours to evaluate Judge.“I just voiced my opinion — a lot,” Judge said with a grin. “And they kind of got tired of me telling them I would be playing, so they finally said, ‘Let’s just put him in there and see what happens.'”Judge went 0 for 4, including a pop fly to the warning track in the right field corner, but he came away pleased with his at-bats. Boone thought he seemed impressively sharp after being on the shelf for so long.“He’s a special person, so I’m not surprised,” Boone said. “He comes in with an edge, with a focus and just an ability to lock in in a hurry. I thought he was in a good place all night long, just with his presence, with who he is and the at-bats he was able to have.”Manager Alex Cora wrote Betts in as his center fielder as of 9 a.m., even after the AL MVP contender injured his left side Sunday. But then the conditions turned soggy.“He’s doing OK Michael Brantley Jersey ,” Cora said. “The weather kind of like pushed me to not play him.”Judge was injured when hit by a pitch. The reigning AL Rookie of the Year was activated Friday and played two innings in right field that night without going to the plate. Judge has said his wrist no longer bothers him while swinging a bat, but he has been experiencing discomfort on more routine movements.He had 11 at-bats in a simulated game Monday and lofted an opposite-field homer to right during a series of simulated plate appearances against Yankees minor leaguer Adonis Rosa on Tuesday morning.Judge was late on some fastballs and had a number of swings and misses against Rosa, who struck out 108 over 128 1/3 innings across three minor league levels this season. A large contingent of Yankees personnel watched the session, including Boone and general manager Brian Cashman.Judge’s workload will be monitored closely down the stretch, with New York eager to get him at-bats before likely playing in the AL wild-card game.“We want to start that clock of getting in there and playing and getting him those ABs,” Boone said. “So he can find that timing sooner rather than later. Physically he’s good to go.”Boston leads the Yankees by 10½ games and can clinch the AL East with a win Wednesday.Cora can be cautious with Betts because the Red Sox have by far baseball’s best record, but Betts prefers consistent at-bats to stay sharp. He’s also making a push for his first MVP award with an AL-best .337 batting average.“I know he’s close to doing a few things that are very special in this game,” Cora said. “But like I’ve been saying, he’s a small guy, not as big as some other ones, and we need him to be close to 100 percent.”The Yankees also plan to activate closer Aroldis Chapman on Wednesday or Thursday. The left-hander is working back from left knee tendinitis. He said he felt strong after throwing 22 pitches in a simulated game Monday. Withoffseason acquisitionYasiel Puig entering his walk year, the Cincinnati Reds can expect big things out of the former All-Star.In an in-depth profile by ESPN.com's Alden Gonzalez, the charismatic outfielder revealed that his work ethic is going to be much different than in years past http://www.indiansfanproshop.com/authentic-b.j.-upton-jersey , given that he is looking to cash in in free agency next offseason."I never worked hard," Puig told Gonzalez. "Maybe that's the reason why I didn't have my better years. ... The last couple years, I didn't work hard because I still have a contract to go. Now I think I'll work hard more than any year in my life."Puig signed aseven-year, $42 million contractwith the Los Angeles Dodgers in June 2012. He took the league by storm by propelling his team to the postseason as a rookie by hitting .319/.391/.534 with 19 home runs and 21 doubles with 42 RBI in 104 games. That not only helped him finish runner-up in National League Rookie of the Year voting, but he also receive NL MVP votes despite not debuting until June.He followed that strong debut up with another solid performance in 2014, when he earned his first All-Star selection by hitting .296 with 16 home runs, 37 doubles, nine triples and 69 RBI.Since then, though, he has not had the easiest of times in the big leagues. His average dropped to .255 in 2015 as he dealt with a hamstring injury. In 2016, he hit just .263 with 11 home runs, and he was ultimately demoted to Triple-A to "improve him as a player and person."Puig responded to a tumultuous 2016 season by clubbing a combined 51 dingers over the past two seasons, including a career-high 28 in 2017. His average Kenny Lofton Jersey , though, has not topped .267 the past four years.As his time in Los Angeles neared an end, the right-handed slugger's playing time declined against southpaws, as he managed just a .209 average against left-handers last season.Puig should get an opportunity to play every day for a Reds club that is looking for its first winning season since 2013. Whether it's in center field or left field, manager David Bell figures to be penciling Puig's name into the lineup on a daily basis, which could pay off in a big way.Theoffseason tradethat sent Puig to Cincinnati provides a nice change of scenery for the impending free agent. Spacious Dodger Stadium is by no means a hitter's paradise. Great American Ball Park has earned the nickname "Great American Small Park" for a reason.But don't expect money to be the 28-year-old's only motivation this year.MLB Network MLBNetwork.YasielPuig has his sights set on the playoffs with the Reds. #30Clubs30Days dpWAmFAPMq"I feel the love from the city, from the team, and the love for having me here this season," Puig told Gonzalez. "I want to do the best I can to help the team win and give the best of myself and the game to all the fans and all the city the city back for having me here and giving me this opportunity to play this year, with a Cincinnati Reds uniform."Puig recently told MLB.com'sMark Sheldonthat he is willing to re-sign with the Reds, saying that if general managerNick Krall "gives me the money, I will be here as many years as he wants." Per Gonzalez, though http://www.indiansfanproshop.com/authentic-b.j.-upton-jersey , Puig appears to be keeping his options open, noting his favorite color is red and his second-favorite is blue."Those are the two colors that I want to be in my house, in my closet or blue," Puig told Gonzalez. "There's a lot of red teams, there's a lot of blue teams. It's not only Cincinnati, not only Dodgers, you know? Maybe Texas, Anaheim. I don't know. There's a lot of red teams. St. Louis Cardinals don't know. I also can stay here. You never know."Puig's comments about not working hard until his walk year could cause teams to be hesitant about making a long-term commitment to the talented star. However, if he has a big year for the Reds, someone will undoubtedly pay him. After all, Manny Machado recently got $300 million despite making it clear last year that he is no "Johnny Hustle."

*** French Canadian Ancestors ***